Thursday, November 6, 2008

Noodles

I lied yesterday when I said I bake all of our bread products. I was forgetting about noodles. I'm still buying a lot of pasta.

I have taken steps toward making it all myself. I always make homemade egg noodles for chicken noodle soup, and here and there I've made homemade ravioli and homemade tortellini.
But on a weekly basis, no, I'm not there yet.

The tough part is planning ahead. Store-bought pasta is quick and convenient, but homemade takes time, which I don't have on school nights. I will need to get more disciplined about pasta-making so I can freeze big batches and have a lot on hand.

I don't know why pasta is the hurdle for me. Why not bread, which is equally time-consuming? There are school nights where we get home at 5:00 or 5:30 and I'll start a loaf of french bread. It won't be ready for three hours, and ends up being a bedtime snack, but for some reason that doesn't stop me. Yet the thought of getting home and starting a batch of pasta from scratch at 5:00 is too much for me.

I don't know what that's about, but I guess we all have our idiosyncratic hurdles. This may be another one of those incremental things--as I get more and more accustomed to making pasta, there may come a point where I don't even think twice about it. I'll just get right to it.

Mentally, I see the goal. I know I'm disgusted with processed foods. I want to control what goes into the pasta that we eat. I know we like the taste of homemade pasta much better. All of these things are a start.

I'll get there eventually. (Or in the meantime, maybe Collin will grow out of loving pasta so much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment